High Road Gallery exclusively exhibits the work of Central Ohio artists. The gallery is located in the historic Buttles-Pinney-Brown House (aka Sidney Brown House).
This Federal five-bay brick residence at 12 East Stafford was built in the early 1800's by the Buttles family. Advertised in the Columbus Gazette on March 1819 as "built with first rate materials," the owner indicated he was willing to accept soldier's warrants as payment.
The property was sold for $1500 in 1823 and was referred to in the deed as "the two story brick house lately occupied by Buttles."
In 1839, Sidney Brown, a cooper, purchased the property where he had a shop for making and repairing barrels. He also operated a grocery in a small building north of his home. The home remained in the Brown family until 1937.
Later owners added the distinctive metal caps over the windows and the vestibule entry but the structure retains most of its original character. This home reflects the popular Victorian tradition of combining home and business at the same location.
When visiting the gallery, ask to look in the crawl space under the ash floors to see the beams which still have bark on them.